About the Role
Do you have a passion for learning new things? In particular, are you interested in working with innovative tech companies across different sectors? Are you a stickler for good storytelling, proper grammar and have a talent for inspiring others through your writing? Can you blend the simplicity of a bird’s-eye view with the in-depth expertise of an industry leader?
If yes, this could be the perfect role for you.
We’re looking for an accomplished Senior Thought Leadership Writer to join our growing team. You’ll apply your interview, research and writing expertise to create high-quality thought leadership content for executives who lead tech companies across various sectors, such as Adtech, Martech, Edtech, Fintech, Retailtech, and eCommerce.
Note that this is not a technical writing role. It is a highly visible client-facing position with writing that focuses on best practices and big-picture industry themes. The successful candidate will be both an exceptional wordsmith and someone who is quick to establish rapport with C-level executives in order to effectively capture and share their point of view and voice.
The Senior Thought Leadership Writer will report to the Director of Thought Leadership.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with SMG’s Director of Thought Leadership on editorial calendar, client assignments and content production processes.
- Partnering with clients to develop topics that map to each client’s thought leadership platform.
- Developing high-quality thought leadership content and driving feedback, editing and approval cycles to meet established deadlines.
- Providing writing and/or editing support for additional thought leadership or executive visibility content projects as needed (e.g., white papers, contributed content, award applications, etc.)
- Collaborating with or managing SMG's external freelancers as needed.
- Assuming the project management role for assigned tasks. Although you will work with an Accounts Lead on all client work, you are responsible for proactive tracking and reporting of progress toward milestones and on-time delivery.
- Contributing thought leadership/best practice ideas and content for the SMG blog as needed.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience — you have a minimum of seven years content writing experience with at least two years writing thought leadership content on the brand or agency side (other ghostwriting experience at the executive level may also be considered).
- Cross-functional experience - you have a general understanding of the challenges facing executives and early- to mid-stage companies, and have experience working with specialists across digital marketing, communications, product marketing and more.
- Collaboration — you thrive in an environment where everyone works remotely; you can successfully lead and collaborate with other senior professionals and external contractors as needed.
- Initiative — you absorb new concepts quickly and can independently generate original and insightful ideas that reflect a client’s thought leadership goals. You understand a start-up mindset and can operate with speed and agility while still prioritizing quality results. You’re not afraid to share your ideas on opportunities to refine or expand SMG’s thought leadership offering.
- Excellence — you set high expectations and only put your best work in front of team members and clients.
- Communication — you have excellent written, verbal and presentation skills. You can deliver thoughts and direction in a clear and concise manner.
- Growth Mindset — you bring complementary skills and expertise to the team on a consistent basis and are always willing to teach as well as learn from team members.
- Organization — you value organization, efficiency and transparency; always striving to keep clients and team members in the loop.
- We strike a perfect balance between being strategic and executing with excellence for our clients.
- We are diverse and inclusive. We respect different viewpoints and educational backgrounds, and ensure employees and contractors pay parity.
- We promote our people and help team members develop their personal brands in the market.
- We encourage independence. We work remotely and transparently while avoiding micromanaging, schedule-policing and presenteeism.
- Our open time-off policy means you take the time you need. We believe hard workers need time to recharge
SalientMG is a strategic marketing firm based in New York City with team members across North America. We are senior marketers, not traditional consultants. We collaborate with our clients to identify their salient points—what makes their business truly remarkable. B2B tech companies partner with us to launch, accelerate or streamline their marketing strategy and programs. Since 2013, growth-stage B2B tech companies such as Verizon, Etsy, Ogury, Ubermedia and Rovio have relied on SalientMG to create market-differentiation and accelerate growth. Our clients are accepted by referral only.
SalientMG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SalientMG complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.