Director of Communications
About The Role
We’re looking for an experienced Director of Communications to join our growing Executive Visibility & PR team. This is a highly-visible client-facing position and based on the East Coast (ideally near the New York City area). We need your communications expertise to help our Martech, Edtech, Fintech, Retailtech, DTC, Gaming and eCommerce clients best position themselves in their relevant markets.
This role is equal parts strategy & storytelling to ensure our clients are differentiated in their respective industries. This reports to the Senior Director, Executive Visibility & PR and collaborates with the Directors of Media Relations & Thought-Leadership.
What You’ll Be Doing?
- Corporate & Executive Visibility Strategy, Communications, and Storytelling (80%)
- Lead client strategy, planning and storytelling for client corporate communications programs and executive visibility.
- In partnership with the Director of Media Relations, execute communications programs, including proactive PR (feature stories) and executive (thought leadership) positioning.
- Continuously develop and nurture relevant business, trade and local press relationships.
- Create and staff relevant media tours with clients and their executives.
- Track relevant news trends and proactively position clients as experts.
- In partnership with the Director of Thought-Leadership, create editorial strategies for clients and place contributed pieces in relevant publications.
- Advise on social media strategies for clients.
- In partnership with Accounts Director, ensure client accounts are resourced adequately and maintain a bench of contractors/freelancers to PR & communications programs.
- SalientMG PR (10%)
- Contribute to SalientMG’s PR and executive visibility strategy and solution development.
- In partnership with the Director of Media Relations, ensure consistent media coverage and relevant speaking opportunities for SalientMG leadership team.
- New Business (10%)
- Collaborate with the CEO and Managing Director on new business calls and pitches.
- Collaborate with Accounts Director to brainstorm and develop statements of work, client onboarding and work plans.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience — 10+ years of demonstrated PR and communications experience including executive communications; a successful candidate must have experience in B2B and tech/SaaS companies; experience in-house/client side is also highly preferred.
- Connections — an established ‘rolodex’ of key reporter contacts across trade, business (including broadcast producers/reporters), podcasts, and has a proven record of developing new reporter relationships.
- Cross-functional marketing experience - a proven track record of working with specialists across product marketing, content creation, digital marketing, product, communications and more.
- Collaboration - thrive in an environment where everyone works remotely; you can successfully lead and collaborate with other senior professionals and external contractors.
- Initiative - understand the start-up mindset and prioritize speed, agility and results. You actively look for gaps with a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Delivering with excellence - only put the best in front of team members and clients
- Communication - superior written, verbal, and presentation skills; delivering your thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Growth mindset - you bring complementary skills and expertise to the team on a consistent basis; always willing to teach the team and learn from team members.
- Organization - you value organization, efficiency and transparency; always striving to keep clients and team members in the loop.
- We strike a perfect balance between being strategic and executing with excellence for our clients.
- We are diverse and inclusive. We respect different viewpoints, educational backgrounds, and ensure employees and contractors pay parity.
- We promote our people and help team members develop their personal brands in the market.
- We encourage independence. We work remotely and transparently while avoiding micromanaging, schedule-policing and presenteeism.
- Our open time-off policy means you take the time you need. We believe hard workers need time to recharge.
SalientMG is a strategic marketing firm based in New York City with team members across North America. We are senior marketers, not traditional consultants. We collaborate with our clients to identify their salient points - what makes their business truly remarkable. B2B tech companies partner with us to launch, accelerate, or streamline their marketing strategy and programs. Since 2013, growth-stage tech companies such as Verizon, Etsy, Ogury, Ubermedia and Rovio have relied on us to create market-differentiation and accelerate growth. Our clients are accepted by referral only.
SalientMG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SalientMG complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.