ABOUT THE ROLE
Do you have a strong passion for learning about the tech industry? Are you interested in working with innovative, startup tech companies across different sectors? If yes, this could be your next perfect career move. We’re looking for an A+ Associate Director of Media Relations to join our growing team. This is a highly visible client-facing position based in NYC, CA or DC and reports to the Senior Director, Brand Marketing.
We want you to take your PR expertise and deep media relationships to help our Adtech, Martech, Edtech, Fintech, Retailtech, DTC, Gaming and eCommerce clients best position themselves in their relevant markets.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING?
- Communications & Media Relations Program (75% of the time)
- Serve as direct client counsel, strategy and execution for tech communications and media relations programs.
- Create unique communications programs for each assigned client (executive visibility, go-to-market and podcast clients) in partnership with the Growth Marketing team (content, messaging, digital) and other Media Relations Directors.
- Execute media relations programs, including proactive PR (feature stories) and executive (thought leadership) positioning.
- Serve as the media contact for reactive/inbound media requests, determine the best approach to responses for the client(s).
- Continuously grow relevant business, trade and local press relationships on behalf of all clients and SalientMG.
- Create briefing sheets, press releases and staff all media calls for clients.
- Create and staff relevant media tours with clients.
- Track relevant news trends and proactively position clients favorably as experts.
- Determine editorial strategies for each client; work with SMG content leads to place relevant contributed pieces (secure contributorships).
- Create and execute speaking and award/accolade nominations for clients.
- Advise on social media strategies for clients.
- Track/update client on press coverage/secured speaking opportunities
- Conduct continuous resource planning to ensure we can hire appropriately as client needs shift.
- Create a bench of contractors/freelancers for PR etc. to ensure backup resources are available if and when needed.
- SalientMG Communications (15% of the time)
- Manage SMG PR freelancers
- Manage 3rd party sites such as CrunchBase
- Develop key website content (including posting summaries of significant client coverage) to position SMG offerings/expertise
- Partner with other Media Relations Director to ensure consistent media relations for SalientMG; place SalientMG execs in key speaking opportunities and position with key local/national press
- Develop regular Thought Leadership/Contributed Articles/Blogging
- New Business (10% of the time)
- Act as senior communications and media relations resource for client meetings and brainstorming/responding to new business requests.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR?
- Experience — 10+ years of demonstrated PR and media relations experience; a successful candidate must have experience in B2B and tech/SaaS companies; experience in-house/client-side is also highly preferred
- Connections — an established ‘Rolodex of key reporter contacts across trade, business (including broadcast producers/reporters), podcasts, and has a proven record of developing new reporter relationships
- Cross-functional marketing experience - a proven track record of working with specialists across product marketing, content creation, digital marketing, product, communications and more
- Collaboration - thrive in an environment where everyone works remotely; you can successfully lead and collaborate with other senior professionals and external contractors
- Initiative - understand the start-up mindset and prioritize speed, agility and results. You actively look for gaps with a positive, solution-oriented approach
- Delivering with excellence - only put the best in front of team members and clients
- Communication - superior written, verbal, and presentation skills; delivering your thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Growth mindset - you bring complementary skills and expertise to the team on a consistent basis; always willing to teach the team and learn from team members
- Organization - you value organization, efficiency and transparency; always striving to keep clients and team members in the loop
- We strike a perfect balance between being strategic and executing with excellence for our clients.
- We are diverse and inclusive. We respect different viewpoints, educational backgrounds, and ensure employee and contractor pay parity.
- We promote our people and help team members develop their personal brands in the market.
- We encourage independence. We work remotely and transparently while avoiding micromanaging, schedule-policing and presenteeism.
- Our open time-off policy means you take the time you need. We believe hard workers need time to recharge.
SalientMG is a strategic marketing firm based in New York City with team members across North America. We are senior marketers, not traditional consultants. We collaborate with our clients to identify their salient points - what makes their business truly remarkable. B2B tech companies partner with us to launch, accelerate, or streamline their marketing strategy and programs. Since 2013, growth-stage tech companies such as Verizon, Etsy, Near, ExecOnline, Sparkfly, GWI and Rovio have relied on us to create market differentiation and accelerate growth. Our clients are accepted by referral only.