ABOUT THE ROLE
Do you have a strong passion for working with the media? Are you interested in partnering with innovative, high-growth technology companies across different sectors, and from startups to global businesses? Do you enjoy creating and telling stories that help move the needle for companies, their founders, and executive teams? Do you enjoy the thrill of developing the perfect pitch and seeing it land successfully? If yes, this could be your next perfect career move!
SalientMG, a senior consulting firm that partners as an in-house marketing team for our clients, is searching for a director of media relations to join our growing team. We want you to take your PR expertise and deep media relations expertise to help our adtech, martech, edtech, fintech, retail tech, gaming and other tech clients best position themselves in their relevant markets. This is a highly-visible client-facing position that is 100% remote (NYC-area preferred, but not mandatory) and reports to the senior director of brand marketing.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING?
Managing media relations programs for SalientMG’s clients:
- Plan and execute media relations programs for each client, including proactive PR (major announcements) and reactive PR pitching (trendjacking)
- Create and execute pitches every single day, telling stories and finding the right news hooks that are relevant and stand out to reporters in an increasingly saturated media landscape
- Regularly create PR plans for client work, thinking strategically about the best way to develop content, pitch the media and deliver results
- Set appropriate expectations with clients and manage their needs
- Write press releases, award submissions and speaking submissions
- Help establish and shape client branding through both earned and contributed media opportunities
- Serve as media contact for reactive/inbound media requests, and determine the best approach to responses for clients.
- Continuously grow relevant business, trade, and local press relationships on behalf of all clients and SalientMG
- Create briefing sheets, press releases, and staff all media calls for clients
- Create and staff relevant media tours with clients
- Track relevant news trends and proactively position clients favorably as experts.
- Determine editorial strategies for each client; work with SMG thought leadership leads to place relevant contributed articles
- Advise on social media strategies (amplification of news coverage) for clients
- Track/update client on press coverage/secured speaking opportunities
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR?
- Experience - 10+ years of demonstrated PR and media relations experience; a successful candidate must have experience in B2B and tech/SaaS companies; experience in-house/client-side is also highly preferred
- Connections - established media contacts across trade, business, consumer, and technology press (print, podcast, radio, broadcast), with a proven record of developing new reporter relationships
- Detail-oriented - meticulous drive to produce error-free results
- Experienced writer - must enjoy writing and collaborating with internal teams to draft any necessary PR-specific content; must understand copy editing and AP style writing
- Cross-functional marketing experience - a proven track record of working with specialists across product marketing, content creation, digital marketing, product and creative
- Communication - superior written, verbal, and presentation skills; delivering your thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Collaboration - thrive in an environment where everyone works remotely; you can successfully lead and collaborate with other senior professionals and external contractors
- Initiative - understand the start-up mindset and prioritize speed, agility, and results, and actively look for gaps with a positive, solution-oriented approach
- Thirst for knowledge - Excitement and willingness to learn new industries and businesses, and quickly ramp up knowledge to support clients.
- Delivering with excellence - only put the best in front of team members and clients
- Growth mindset - you bring complementary skills and expertise to the team consistently; always willing to both teach and learn from your colleagues
- Organization - you value organization, efficiency, and transparency; always striving to keep clients and team members in the loop
- Good sense of humor - we aren’t brain surgeons and we know it; however, we take pride in our work and have fun in the process!
- We strike a perfect balance between being strategic and executing with excellence for our clients.
- We are diverse and inclusive. We respect different viewpoints, educational backgrounds, and ensure employee and contractor pay parity.
- We promote our people and help team members develop their personal brands in the market.
- We encourage independence. We work remotely and transparently while avoiding micromanaging, schedule-policing and presenteeism.
- Our open time-off policy means you take the time you need. We believe hard workers need time to recharge.
SalientMG is a strategic marketing firm based in New York City with team members across North America. We are senior marketers, not traditional consultants. We collaborate with our clients to identify their salient points - what makes their business truly remarkable. B2B tech companies partner with us to launch, accelerate, or streamline their marketing strategy and programs. Since 2013, growth-stage tech companies such as Verizon, Etsy, Near, ExecOnline, Sparkfly, GWI and Rovio have relied on us to create market differentiation and accelerate growth. Our clients are accepted by referral only.